A Board of Trustees administers the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia (TRS). State statutes provide that the administration of the System be vested in a ten-member Board of Trustees comprised as follows:
Two Ex-officio members:
- The State Auditor
- The State Treasurer
- Two active members of the System who are classroom teachers and not employees of the Board of Regents
- One active member of the System who is a public school administrator
- One active member of the System who is not an employee of the Board of Regents
- One Member-at-Large
Board of Regents appointee:
- One active member of the System who is an employee of the Board of Regents
- One member who has retired under the System
- One individual who is a citizen of the state, not a member of the System and experienced in the investment of money
The Board appoints TRS’s Executive Director who is responsible for the proper operation and staffing of TRS, engaging such actuarial and other services as necessary to transact business, and paying expenses necessary for operations.
Although TRS is a component unit of the State of Georgia’s financial reporting entity, it is accountable for its own fiscal matters and presentation of separate financial statements. TRS has the power and privileges of a corporation and the right to bring and defend actions.