Death of a Retiree
What Happens When a Retiree Dies?
Upon the death of a retiree, TRS should be contacted as soon as possible (404-352-6500 or 800-352-0650), with the following information:
- Name and SSN of the deceased.
- Date of death.
- Name, address, phone, and relationship to the retiree of the person reporting the death.
- Name, address, and phone of whom TRS should contact regarding the retiree death, and the relationship of this person to the deceased. This is usually a spouse or the executor of the deceased’s estate.
Within 45 days of notification, TRS will respond by mail to the beneficiary(ies) on record regarding the account settlement election chosen by the retiree and will request additional information from the beneficiary(ies). Settlement of a deceased retiree’s account is based upon the retirement plan selected by the TRS member at the time of retirement. For retirees whose plan of retirement is:
- Plan A or Plan B – Option 1, a lump sum refund could be due the retiree’s beneficiary(ies).
- Plan B – Option 2, Option 2 Pop-up, Option 3, Option 3 Pop-up, or Option 4, a continuing monthly benefit is available for the retiree’s beneficiary(ies). TRS will require specific forms and information based on the plan of retirement chosen. Click on the links to the right for more information.
The retiree’s month of death is the final month the retiree is entitled to receive TRS benefits.