New Member Workshop
Many people are unable to retire because they started saving too late in life. But not you! You are lucky because as a member of TRS, you and your employer begin contributing toward your retirement your very first day of work. How many people can say they will be guaranteed a retirement benefit for life?
As you begin your career as an educator, it is important to plan early for your retirement and stay abreast of new information and legislation that may affect your retirement benefit. This workshop will provide you with an introduction to concepts that will help you prepare for your retirement.
Topics discussed during this workshop include:
- Understanding a defined benefit plan.
- The four W’s of TRS (Who we are, What we do, When are milestones, Why this benefit is so important).
- Payroll contributions: employee and employer’s.
- The importance of being vested.
- Service credit: the different types, how/when/why to purchase.
- Survivor benefits.
- Withdrawing your account.
- Resources to help you be successful.
Who should attend?
- Active members with 0-5 years of service and members who want to learn more about TRS.
Who presents the workshop?
- A TRS Retirement Planner.
How long does it last?
- 1 hour
What should I bring with me?
- An interest in learning about your TRS benefits and any questions you may have.
How do I sign up?
Click on the Account Login button above, select “Active Member”, login, and click on Appointments/Event Registration. Pick the event and time of your choice. You will receive an automatic e-mail confirmation upon your successful registration.