If the retiree chose Plan B-Option 2, 2 Pop-up, 3, 3 Pop-up, or 4, the deceased retiree’s beneficiary(ies) are eligible for a monthly benefit, and TRS will need the following:
- A Beneficiary Application for Benefits – Option 2,3,4
- Federal tax form.
- State tax form.
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) for direct deposit of monthly benefit.
- Repayment of benefits issued after month in which the retiree died (if applicable). For example, if a retiree dies in June, monthly payments issued July and forward must be returned to TRS. (TRS must receive repayment before further benefits are paid).
- If the beneficiary is a minor, TRS needs Guardianship papers.
- If the beneficiary is unable to conduct financial transactions, TRS needs Power of Attorney papers.
- If the beneficiary predeceases the retiree and the retirement plan and/or beneficiary was not changed, all benefits cease. TRS will request a copy of the deceased beneficiary’s death certificate.