State of Georgia Employment

If you were previously a member of the Employees’ Retirement System of Georgia (ERS) and withdrew your funds, you may establish this service with TRS. You are eligible to purchase your ERS withdrawn service after you have completed the required number of years of active TRS membership. If you have withdrawn:

  • 1, 2, or 3 previous account you must complete 3 years of active membership;
  • 4 previous accounts you must complete 5 years of active membership; or
  • 5 or more previous accounts you must complete 10 years of active membership.

Your cost for repayment of ERS withdrawals will be the amount of contributions you would have paid to TRS had you been a member, plus applicable interest. If you have not withdrawn your contributions from ERS, you may transfer your total credits immediately by paying the difference in the amount of contributions you paid as an ERS member and the amount of contributions you would have paid as a TRS member, plus applicable interest.

Should you request a transfer of your ERS account to TRS but elect not to pay the difference at the time it is transferred, you will receive retirement credit with TRS for a pro-rata portion of the service. However, full credit for the service under ERS will not be granted until you have paid the difference.

To initiate a transfer of ERS credits to TRS, you must notify TRS, in writing, of your election to transfer the credits. Any member with State of Georgia service rendered prior to January 1, 1950, should contact TRS for information about establishing such service.