As an employer in the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia, we know that you want the best for your employees. TRS does too. In an effort to make membership through retirement as seamless as possible, for both you and your employees, it is important that you understand your responsibilities, as well as the rules and regulations as stated in the official code for retirement and pensions.
An overview of your responsibilities includes:
- Enrolling employees into TRS and maintaining their records.
- Withholding the required contribution from each member’s annual salary, and submitting the required employee and employer contributions to TRS by the tenth calendar day of the month following the month for which the contributions were made.
- Submitting and updating required employee data in the designated format and within established due dates.
- Maintaining accurate contact information and address for your organization.
- Responding to TRS requests for information in a timely manner.
- Designating a contact person who has the authority to complete and submit forms, respond to TRS requests and inquiries, and report mergers or consolidations.
- Completing the Retirement Certification Report (TRS8) and Sick Leave Certification Form (SKL) for all employees who apply for retirement, or the Refund of Contributions form for terminated employees.
If you have questions or need further clarification on any of the responsibilities listed above, please contact your assigned TRS representative.